Friday 20 July 2012

Hate Crime (2012)

(Sneak preview online screener copy)


Directed by James Cullen Bressack

Written by James Cullen Bressack, Jarret Cohen

Stars: Jody Barton, Nicholas Clark, Greg Depetro, Debbie Diesel, Tim Moran. Ian Robert, Sloane Morgan Siegel, Maggie Wagner






Now this may stand as one of the most peculiar yet exciting reviews I have done so far. I was contacted just the other night by writer/director James Cullen Bressack with the offer of reviewing his feature length follow up to creepy serial killer thriller My Pure Joy (Review here). I was of course all for it...but there was a catch. I am not permitted in any way shape or form to share specific plot details with you, whether it be fates of characters, kill methods, any plot twists etc etc etc. Which is fine...because you WILL want to go into this one blind, and if you get the chance to see it at any of the upcoming festivals that its being submitted to I suggest you do!

What I can tell you is that the film concerns a family home invaded one night by a group of strangers. Thats it, that's your lot for now. So what did I make of the movie? Well first of all I want to go straight to its technical merit. I thought My Pure Joy was a really well made indie flick in its own right but Hate Crime shows a true progression in terms of direction. The events/plot of the film require a certain shooting method in order to make it effective and this is REALLY professionally done here. The acting as well is really rather good; there are scenes involving panic, mayhem and out and out chaos in this movie and therefore actors who can relay this without overacting are key. I believe all key characters delivered this realistically and really impressed me.


In terms of the plot (which I am telling you no more about) the film is heavy going, I wont lie. Its not something that you will watch and easily forget and its not a film you should consider watching if you require some 'light' and fluffy horror release....no PG-13 or 12 certificate nonsense happening here.Its a raw, noisy, uncompromising experience that you may find difficult to put behind you.
Stay tuned for information on how you can get to see this film, it does present a relevant message but no easy solutions, but then there never are for these things.............

No comments:

Post a Comment